Dr. Jeffery K. Liker is Professor of Industrial and Operations Engineering at the University of Michigan, and the acclaimed author of the 2004 international best-seller, The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World’s Greatest Manufacturer, which is still in print and has been translated into many languages.
He is also the force behind Liker Lean Advisors, a group of professionals in the corporate field. Liker Lean offers national coaching, seminars, and consulting products based on the Toyota Way.
Dr. Liker earned his PhD. in Sociology at the University of Massachusetts and a B.S. in Industrial Engineering at Northeastern University. He has been a professor for over 30 years and has an extensive list of publications beyond the Toyota Way series, including scientific papers, articles, and a number of books.
His groundbreaking book, The Toyota Way, 14 Management Principles from the World’s Greatest Manufacturer, details the corporate philosophy, principles, and strategies that have made Toyota’s culture a success. A companion book, The Toyota Way Fieldbook, written with David Meier, further explains how companies can develop using the concept of the Toyota Way.
Dr. Liker has gone on to co-author eight additional Toyota Way books:
The Toyota Product Development System, Integrating People, Product and Technology, was written with Dr. James M. Morgan, was the first work in the Toyota Way series that examines the product development aspect of Toyota’s culture.
- 2007: Toyota Talent: Developing Exceptional People the Toyota Way, written with David Meier.
- 2008: Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way, with Michael Hoseus.
- 2012: The Toyota Way to Lean Leadership, The Toyota Way to Continuous Improvement, written with Gary Convis.
- 2012: Toyota Under Fire, written with James Franz.
- 2012: The Toyota Way to Continuous Improvement, co-written with Tim Ogden.
- 2012: Developing Lean Leaders The Toyota Way, co-written with George Trachilis.
- 2014: The Toyota Way to Service Excellence, Lean Transformation in Service Organizations, co-authored by Karen Ross, is Dr. Liker’s most recent work as of this writing. This book is appropriate for all levels of service personnel, outlining how a corporation can gear itself to please clients in a structured system.
Jeff Liker is also a popular keynote speaker. He has recently given presentations for Caterpillar, Kraft-Oscar Meyer, Applied Materials, Siemens, Dover Industries, Alcatel-Lucent, Hertz, Solar Turbine, and Henry Ford Health Systems.
In addition to heading Liker Lean Academy, Dr. Liker proudly partners in The Toyota Way Academy and Lean Leadership Institute, organizations that offer advanced business education for executive leadership.
His accomplishments include eleven Shingo Prizes for Research Excellence, the 2005 Institute of Industrial Engineers Book of the Year Award, and the 2007 Sloan Industry Studies Book of the Year.
Dr. Liker was inducted into the Association of Manufacturing Excellence Hall of Fame in 2012.
Jeffery Liker enjoys golf and watching football and basketball. He is resuming learning to play classical guitar after a long hiatus. His wife Deb, daughter Emma, and son Jesse support his writing. Dr. Liker says that Jesse is his finest editor and toughest critic.